I was tagged by the wonderful Luminous Mongoose as a welcome back gift and I am so happy about this. The masterminds behind the tag is Keiko over at Keiko’s Anime Blog, Leap250 at Leap250’s Blog and maybe most importantly TPAB~ at The Pantless Anime Blogger who came up with the idea in the first place. Kudos to you all! This tag is just awesome.
I love to write and I need to practice my writing so this is a perfect opportunity for that.
Let’s talk rules.
- You pick your “word”, your setting and your story genre from the list below.As individuals, your brand of creativity is unique to yours, so we want to highlight that by letting you choose from a bunch of words and creating something beautiful out of it. Yes, some people will choose the same combination as others but I guarantee you each story will be unique as per the individual. The options are really just there to cater to you specifically. You can challenge yourself, you can work with your strengths or you can take creative risks. It’s all up to you and how you express your creativity.
Now, we do understand that some of the options are broad or vague, but Keiko explains that creative writing excels on vague stuff. Basically, how you interpret the choices is part of the creativity. After all, this is your unique brain spinning a unique story, so by all means, go f*cking nuts.
- The short story will have a limit of 1000 words. You do not need to write a story with 1000 words exactly. It could be 300, or 500 as long as it doesn’t surpass a thousand. Easy enough, right? I do know writing a short story with a max of 1000 will be tough. I’ve already written my story, and I had to constantly edit this. So, why the word limit? To be frank, we want to avoid people overthinking this challenge. It’s not about how you stack up to other people. It’s not about your sentence construction or your grammar skills, and it’s not about wowing people with your talents. It’s none of that. It’s about a celebration of your uniqueness and your creativity. There is only one YOU, and this YOU will create a story that truly represents you.I work with a lot of people on a daily basis, and I know a lot of young people think like perfectionists. They want whatever they do to be perfect or majestic, and please set that thinking aside. Your flaws are part of your uniqueness, so just write a story that stays true to you. 1000 words is short enough for people to actually read it, trust me, so just make a story that represents you.
- YOU HAVE TWO WEEKS TO ANSWER THE TAG. This is honestly just another way to ensure none of you overthink this. It’s not supposed to be your magnum opus. It’s just a fun short story to share to people. If you cannot answer within two weeks, the tagger can tag other people.
- Lastly, you must tag three people to participate. Keiko will collect all the short stories and compile them into one giant hub featuring all the stories.
- Don’t forget to link back to Keiko (link back to this post) so she can collect all the stories. You can’t just link back to her wordpress, since she won’t be alerted of the pingback. You need to link back to a post or a page, because wordpress works like this. (Very important guys!)
- Use the Create-A-Story picture in the post. I don’t really know why, but a lot of tags do this so might as well, right? But seriously, it’ll mostly help people recognize all the Create-A-Story tag posts.
- Copy and paste the rules in your tag post as well, so others can be clued in to the Create-A-Story rules.
I’ve been on an hiatus for a month so the tagging’s gonna be though nut to crack because I have no idea who’s been tagged or not. So, please shout out rather soon if you have so I can tag someone else. Anyway, here’s my choices:
OSPREYSHIRE’S REALM – Because I know you can write and you have a great imagination. I also very much like the way you include minorities in your stories. Most people don’t think too much about things like that so yeah, I would like to see you do this tag.
Ya Boy Jack – You say you lack inspiration. Well, here you go. 😎 Also, I like you and what you write. Your poems are awesome. So, I’d like to see what you can make of this.
Shadowlight – I know you are a very talented writer and I would very much see what you can make of this in such few words. Maybe something Sailor Moon. 😘
And now, without further ado and so on… I chose fall, sea and tragedy. My story has no title.
It was an extraordinarily beautiful fall day. He was sitting on the white sand, looking out at the clear blue water. The sun made the quiet waves glitter and once in awhile the water reached his bare feet where he sat.
He had begged them to come with him. For days he had asked them, pleaded with them, nagged at them to join him to the beach, but they had just laughed at him. ‘What you gonna do out there? It’s the end of November. You’re crazy man.’ That’s what they had said.
He got up and walked out into the water. ‘It’s cold’, he thought when he stopped and let the wetness creep up his newly bought jeans. ‘I didn’t think it would be this cold.’ He wasn’t sure what he had expected from the sea in fall, but he knew that he shouldn’t be as surprised by the cold as he was. He walked back up on the beach again and slumped down on a sand dune that had built up a few meters from the water.
Water. It was his life, had always been since he was little. But it was over now. He pulled his legs up and hugged them while he rested his head on his knees. Yes, it was over. One sudden movement, a torn shoulder ligament and all his hopes and dreams were shattered. He chuckled. It wasn’t from joy, it was bitter.
It was a curse, to be the nice guy, he pondered. The guy who always helped out. They guy everyone relied on. He had never asked to be that guy, but still everyone came to him for help. He hated it. All he ever wanted was to be there for him. He only cared about him. His best friend. He was all that mattered. But he was busy with his life and his competitive swimming. He moved away. He disappeared out of his life. One day he was just gone, leaving him behind.
Like a boomerang he suddenly came back one day, years later.
‘Why didn’t you write to me?’
He never got an answer.
‘Why didn’t you tell me you were back?’
No answer to that question either.
His best friend never really did come back after all. His mind and heart was filled with someone else’s soul. And he, he had to carry his feelings for his best friend deeply hidden inside his own heart.
He raised his head and looked out at the setting sun. ‘Another hour of daylight’, he thought. ‘How come the sunset is so beautiful when it so sadly reminds us of a day that is dying?’
He should have told his best friend his true feelings of course. The feelings he had always had. But who has the courage to tell another boy that he loves him? The shame, the embarrassment, the feelings of guilt of loving someone you aren’t allowed to love. A love that the world thinks of as something sick and wrong. All those times they had talked about cute girls, when he had gazed at him and thought about him instead of them. All those times he had cried late at night when his best friend was on a date with some adorable high schooler. A tall, handsome boy like him, crying himself to sleep because of another boy. He was pathetic.
He stood up once again, pulled off his hoodie and let his jeans and underwear fall to the ground before he walked down to the cold water. He hesitated, but only for a second, before he took one more step into the chilly water. The sensation of the cool liquid on his ankles made him shiver, but it didn’t stop him from walking further.
The sun had almost disappeared now, only a thin stripe of orange and pink highlighted the horizon. ‘Painfully beautiful’, he thought while he determined moved forward, letting the freezing water envelope his naked body. He didn’t even feel the cold anymore, his skin had gone numb and relieved him from the pain. There wasn’t anything that could make him stop now. Nothing mattered anymore when he disappeared down under the surface. He wasn’t afraid when he took the first strong arm stroke and started to dive down into the darkness, leaving the fading light above behind. Leaving the dying day and the world for others to care about. There was nothing that was his anymore.
His mind drifted off and his body floated freely down in the deep ocean. He wasn’t afraid, he was just at ease. Relieved that it was all over.
Why hadn’t they come with him?